The yarns we sell here at Indie Undyed to wholesale customers are unconditioned (we condition the yarn prior to shipment for all retail sales).
What this means is that is has not yet been washed since it was spun & plied. Tension from spinning and spinning oils can cause yarns to be flat, compressed, and rather limp.
To see the real beauty in the yarn we recommend washing it prior to dyeing or crafting with it.
If you are dyeing the yarn, the dye process should clean up your yarn nicely, but we've found a soak in warm soapy water for about 20-30 minutes prior to dyeing helps make sure that the dyes set evenly & produce more consistent results rather than dyeing without an initial soak.
To wash your yarn prior to dyeing or crafting:
- Fill a tub or bucket with enough warm water to completely submerge the yarn.
- Add a smidge of blue Dawn to the water and swish around. A little goes a long way!
- Carefully put yarn in your water, being sure not to agitate, a little squeeze doesn't hurt.
- Let soak for 20-30 minutes. Silks take longer to saturate so I usually let silk blends go the full 30 minutes.
- Remove yarn from bucket, squeezing out excess water, and either begin dyeing or let your yarn dry if keeping a natural color.
If you have received our sample card set, all the yarns on the card have already been conditioned so that you can experience the full beauty of the yarns we offer.